Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Camping Change

My spouse and I had a camping trip to the northeast part of the state for a few days.  Every camping trip shares similarities with past camping excursions, but each also presents its own unique set of circumstances, or events.  This trip we had mainly nice, sunny, but relatively warm to hot weather.  We had our share of mosquitoes, black flies, an encounter with poison ivy along a trail, the well pump from which we got water being closed due to e-coli contamination the day after we obtained water from it, and various other travails that make camping an experience.  Yet, the negatives were more than made up by the reasons one camps on a lake in northern Wisconsin.  We saw the ubiquitous chipmunks, but also saw loons, and eagles.  And, for much of the time it was peaceful and relaxing. The last time we camped at this campground on Laura Lake was over eight years ago, and I think we had the site we occupied on that trip eight years ago.  Yes, there are similarities, but there are also differences in camping we now see.
Laura Lake from our Campsite
Laura Lake Campground is in the Chequmegon-Nicolet National Forest about 30 miles east of Crandon, WI. On past trips we had seen loons and eagles, and luckily we were able to be awed by both on this trip.  The best chance to view such wildlife was from the kayak, as the eagles congregated on the shore opposite the campground.  On two different occasions I came across an eagle perched sentinely near the top of a tree on the opposite shore, where I was amazed at how long it stayed.  Sometimes it would call out to another eagle who would respond.  
Laura Lake from our the hiking trail
If one thought the eagles were active, the loons were more so, coming to the midpoint of the lake, if not closer to the campground side.  Again, the kayak served me well in getting a good view of the loons.  A few times I was within 20 feet of two loons, one which likely had a baby (or babies) on its back between and below its wings (at least that is what another kayaker told me).  On one excursion the loons and I were playing chicken, I would start going one way to avoid and get around them and they would turn to start the same direction. This game had its benefits of me getting closer the loons that I had otherwise planned.  A kayak does not stop on a dime. On this same excursion the loon that likely had the baby tucked on its back was heading one way, and the other (probably the male) was heading in a slightly different direction.  The female, made a few calls and the male then headed with her in the same direction.  This showed me similarities to human behavior, as any reader of my post dealing entitled "Traits", which in part dealt with the "Wife App" would recognize.  
View of tree canopy from the Hammock 
Yes, I would have been able to get some amazing photos, if I had taken the camera with a telephoto lens along.  However, as my wife well knows, my middle name is "Careful," and I did not wish the risk of attempting to kayak across a lake with such an expensive piece of equipment hanging around my neck.  However, the solitude with the loons and eagles (many times I was the only one on the lake) is perhaps best left to my mind and as my experience.  A photo, even if a video, could not do justice to the unique moments encountered.  Some encounters, like the eagle soaring off one tree to another along the shore, are best left to memory.  However, while at the swimming area of next door Gordon Lake, I was able to  wade into the water and get photos of loons enjoying a water excursion.  
My wife kayaking on Laura Lake
The lakes, and vegetation were still in good condition, likely due to so much forest land within the watershed.  But, things have changed at this campground.  First, they now accept reservations for over half of the total sites at the campground.  A person who reserved a site can even claim a non-reservable site if it is open, which leads one to wonder when their reserved site becomes available.  We got the last water site, upon our arrival at about 11:30 am on Thursday by beating out a car ahead of us, as I backed up to claim the site, while they, pulling a supply trailer, had to go around the one-way loop. The total campground only had a few unclaimed sites on Thursday night, Sunday saw a great deal of  turn over of sites, and while the non-lake side had fewer campers, lake sites on our loop were full by the afternoon.  Our first trip to Laura Lake years ago we stayed past Sunday and were the only camper that night on that loop.  The campground is now much busier.
Sun rise over Laura Lake
People, we noticed also camp differently.  First, there are many more camper trailers than tents or pop-ups, and there are also many who bring two (or more vehicles).  The stuff people take, and I thought we camped heavy.  Some campsites occupied by only two persons had two trucks--one to pull the camper and another to pull a boat. We also saw a vehicle pulling a camper of which was followed by a boat.  One reason I like Laura Lake is that there are no lake homes, and motor boating is not allowed.  There were families with parents and two children who would also bring a truck and an SUV. Camping has changed.  As my wife said the main noise we used to hear was the occasional car door and zippers on a screen tent or sleeping tent.  Today the noise is markedly different.   From Thursday through Saturday night our loop was full, but only one on our loop ran a generator.  Sunday that changed.  From about 2 pm until after 8:15 pm there were one or more generators running to charge the power systems for those big camping trailers. Our neighbor, who arrived early Sunday afternoon, ran his at least three times during a six hour span.  What a way to destroy the solitude of the camping experience.  Have we become so used to creature comforts that many cannot camp without air conditioning, television, or other accommodations we make to every day life?  Perhaps some even wrote a daily blog account of their trip.  If not, they were likely making daily Facebook posts.  Even at Laura Lake you can get one or two bars of Verizon service.  
Sun set reflecting a purple colored cloud on Laura Lake
We all enjoy the comfort of home.  But do you have to take it with you?  My wife and I did not get a shower until Wednesday of the following week.  We did have nice clean lake water in which to jump in to cool off and get some sweat off.  My wife also noted how much easier it is for men to camp--we can take our shirt off to wash up, and of course men do not necessarily need the privy to pee. We noticed few of the camper trailer persons making use of the campground privy, most having used in their indoor accommodations.  Of course, a trailer with restroom facilities makes it easier to get up in the middle of the night when nature calls.  
What is camping without a campfire?
If I was in a trailer, however, I likely would not have noticed, when I was awakened, the beautiful moon gleaming through the trees and on to the lake from the open door on the tent rain fly on Thursday and Friday nights. One benefit of tent camping. While the generators destroyed the solitude of the campground, I have to admit it was the noise of the generators that drove me to the kayak on that late Sunday afternoon. It was on this kayak trip where I played chicken with the pair of loons--an experience that I will have with me for sometime to come.  The camping experience is what you make of it, and for me, at this point in my life, I prefer to keep it more simple than comfortable.

Loon on Gordon Lake
















No comments:

Post a Comment