Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Rascally Rabbits

Two years ago in mid to late spring I noticed that our bird feeders were not emptying at their normal pace for that time of year. I later discovered why.  Three Cooper Hawks had taken up perching in a large tree adjoining our yard and had scared off, not to mention probably eaten, smaller birds that had previously been prevalent. I recall that summer watching the hawks dive bomb to try to get a chipmunk or a rabbit, with the small mammals moving fast to avoid being griped in the talons of a hawk doing its best impression of a Japanese WWII Zero dive bomber. What we also had that growing season was less damage to our flowers and vegetables. This year we have not been so fortunate. Peter Rabbit getting into Mr. MacGregor’s garden continues to this day. But, I don’t think it is only a mischievous boy bunny, it is also adult rabbits.
...Where are you, your wascially wittle wabbit
Aug 2014 Cooper Hawk seaching for its prey
As a gardener, I always expect a few parts of plants to succumb to the teeth of the furry cuddly-looking creatures. As you approach, and look into such an innocent face, even the Donald’s heart would melt. They may be cute, but they are also cunning. A few years ago, even after best efforts to secure the garden fence they were still getting in the garden. My garden fence is graduated, with smaller openings near the ground, and the openings get larger as you move up. Small bunnies were leaping above the small openings, and squeezing themselves into the mid-sized opening. I placed chicken wire around the existing fence, which solved that problem. Yet, as years go by, I have noticed the fence is getting worn, and does not fit as tight to the ground, so they find an opening in such a location as I saw earlier this week. With the chicken wire attached the outside of the main fence, one has yet to get caught between the two fences.  This past Tuesday, I was sufficiently fortunate to see one in the garden and watched as he tried to escape, making several attempts to get below a small gap between the fence and the ground.  On the fourth attempt, the bunny made it out into the raspberry bed. The rabbits also like to conjure, with the squirrels below the bird feeder and eat the large amount of seed the birds flip off the feeder.  But, this easy picking is not sufficient.
Hosta, after the bunnies got a hold on it
The rabbits have eaten, and continue to eat hostas, spiderwort, and echinacea, cut off rose buds, and an assorted variety of other flowers. of course, some have snuck into the garden where they ate the Swiss chard to the ground, cut some of the pea plants, mow down the spinach, and cut off carrot tops.  Not to mention eating broccoli and cabbage seedlings. Contrary to popular belief they really do not much bother my lettuce.   Knowing that I cannot fence off all of my flower gardens, as it would destroy appearance, I decided to once again try the natural fence alternative to keep rabbits and deer away, putrefied eggs.  I took the large container, while having to put up with the putrid odor made my way around my rose and perennial bed.  My wife thinks we need to fence the whole yard and trap and release all the rabbits outside the fence.I suspect they would still make their way to the tasty flowers and vegetables in our yard.
Oh, they are so cute
Eating grass
Early last Sunday morning, the day after having spread the putrefied egg mixture, my wife looked out to see a rabbit eating in one of our flower gardens. As I approached the bunny, I stood amazed as I realized the inspiration for the large logging machines that have replaced man power in the woods of the nation.  Modern logging equipment can grab a large diameter tree, cut it near the base, strip off the branches and than cut the long log into specified, usually 8' lengths.  This rabbit must have been the inspiration, as in one fell swoop he cut off an stem of yarrow, about 18", and promptly and, appearing effortlessly, mulched the whole length into his mouth.  

Eaten yarrow stem
 Our evergreens and perennial beds provide a nice cover for the furry creatures.  I know from having watched, that six play at one time in our yard. How many others may be lurking in the undergrowth, I do not know.   I suspect they are thumbing their nose at me.  My wife is more concerned when two are playing together, as she wonders how many more babies we will see following the short 30 day gestation period. 
WI State Journal Cartoon from 2 June 2016
Of course, things could be worse, there could be coyotes, or other larger mammals of which to contend, but given the damage accomplished by a convention of rabbits, one wonders what the large mammals would do.  I do know, that one dry summer, it was likely deer that feasted on the vegetable garden by reaching over the 4' garden fence to eat the tomato plants, usually about 3' above grade.  Those plants, a few feet in from the fence, were not damaged.  Suburban living probably upsets, to a degree, the circle of life.  Hawks and other rabbit predators may not be as present to keep the population down. The mild winter probably assisted the rabbit population as there was likely ample food supply without having to dig through snow.  They apparently will feed in close relationship to their warren, which makes me think they habitat under my backyard deck since most damage is within 50' of the deck.  Of course, they like to hide under the large spruce of my neighbor which sits near the property line.
Swiss Chard, nubbed off, photo shows some new growth
being ripe for another attack
The cute bunnies would be much more appreciated if, instead of eating my flowers and vegetables, they would eat the weeds, and in particular the volunteer trees popping up in my flower beds. This is one year I would like to see the hawks reappear.  Two years ago I was watching those dive bombing hawks I cheered for the bunnies to get away.  After what they have done to my gardens I am now less sure I would cheer for that underdog.  The circle of life.


No comments:

Post a Comment