Monday, September 19, 2016

Fish Out of Water

Weather wise in my locale, this past Sunday was a spectacular September day. Given the clear and warm weather I, at the urging of my wife, decided to go kayaking on part of the Yahara River. What was unique was not the kayak experience, but where old fashioned recreation (paddling) met with 2016 recreation—Pokemon Go. I felt like a fish out of water when I arrived at Fish Camp County Park.
Air photo of Fish Camp, Canoe area is in center
Google maps
I normally would put in just south of McFarland, at an access point off of Sleepy Hollow Road, and often kayak three and one-half miles to Fish Camp and then back. Seldom have I seen other kayakers or canoers when I arrivede at Fish Camp.  If I see anyone it is a person putting in a motor boat to fish on Lake Kegonsa. But on Sunday, the local McFarland Festival parade was in progress, so the easier way came to drive a few miles to Fish Camp County Park and basically reverse my route. Given the time of year, and past experience, I did not intend to find the park busy, but  thought perhaps there may be one or two others that had put in at that launch site.  As I was about to turn onto Fish Camp Road, I noticed that my thought was completely wrong. The rural road edge was lined for much of its distance with cars. Fish Camp is not a big picnic area, as it lacks a picnic shelter, so I wondered what was going on. I thought perhaps a fishing demonstration, but as I took the right onto the drive to enter the canoe/kayak parking area, I quickly noticed that it was not fishing related at all. I quickly noticed many persons with heads down and playing on their smartphones. My next thought was that it was a Pokemon Go assemblage, and so I carefully drove down the drive to near the boat launch to avoid persons wandering all around the grass and pavement with heads down oblivious to traffic or, wonder of wonders, someone who was going to actually use the canoe/kayak launch for its actual purpose. As I was unloading my kayak, I inquired of an individual if they were playing Pokemon, and he said “yes, there are many at this site”.  After driving back to Fish Camp Road to find a parking space, I counted 40 cars parked along the road. This did not include the cars parked in the canoe/kayak launch parking lot. Needless to say, I felt like a fish out of water. I mean I was the only one looking to launch a small watercraft.  I was also the only person that either did not have a cellphone in my hand, or with someone who did.
The density probably approached this in parts of Fish Camp


With little other interference I was able to put in and after about 15 minutes of paddling was beyond the area that is bordered by many homes, into a more rural area. It is then that the benefits of paddling are realized. I saw a heron, several birds, and young ducks, but not adult ducks. A few trees were turning gold at the top and a few maples starting to turn to their bright red. The gold provided a contrast to the crimson color of the understory shrubs. Farm fields were tan as the soybeans and corn were starting to dry.  Cattails are especially present along this part of the river, and a person had constructed duck blinds within the cattails. Showing the ever present level of nutrients within the stream, two county lake weed cutters were parked along the shore, although probably near a mile apart. On my paddle route, I saw three canoers and four other kayakers. How many put in at Fish Camp I do not know as some probably live along the river or put in at a different boat launch. All in all it was a pleasurable day for paddling.
Pokemon Go on a cell phone

As I was heading back downstream to Fish Camp I came across a man in a kayak with a fishing pole who was paddling upstream. I said hello, and he commented that this was his first time on that section of the river, and how scenic he found the route. I nodded in agreement and asked where he put in. he said Fish Camp Park. I asked if all the Pokemon people were still present, and he said “oh yes. They need a life!” I had much that same thought when I saw them present. But as I paddled upstream, after having departed Fish Camp, I pondered their presence at the boat launch. I came to the realization, that there are many forms of recreational activity, and if that is what they take pleasure in, so be it. It reminds me of the geo-caching craze of a few years back, although I never came across many persons that were geo-caching. I know some park directors who like Pokemon Go as, they have commented, it gets people outside. But, I also know persons who live in the urban area of the near east side of Madison and they complain about players tresspassing through their yards to capture Pokemons. As I was pulling up do the dock to take out, I counted over 100 persons present on shore doing the Pokemon Go craze. Most were working their handheld device, in a rainbow of case colors, while wandering around thumbs waging war with the keypad. A few were sitting in chairs and working their device. Children were following parents around as they manipulated their devices to do what they need to do with Pokemon. I wish I had my camera as it was quite the scene.  What struck me was that there was a varied age demographic, from young children with a parent(s) up to persons likely in their late 60’s. Smartphones and Pokemon one common interest beween the varied age demographics.  Pokemon is not only used by millenials.
Photo of Fish Camp without Pokemon Go crowd
Weedcutter is at far end of photo, near the pier I used
Google images
As I pulled my kayak out of the frong green colored water, and lifted it off the pier to shore, I had to avoid a women spread on the ground apparently not enjoying the moment.  I did not see a cell phone in her hand.  She gave me an odd look, like someone actually paddles a boat.  I overheard a few people comment that they had never been at this park before. The County Park Department may like to hear that, but when all you want to do is put in a kayak, and you have to dodge wandering hordes and ill-parked cars, you wish there was less of it. The solitude of the journey and the view of nature in a changing season is a benefit of kayaking in the fall. While Fish Camp was not at all noisy, particularly given the number of people present (most were concentrating on their devices), the shore lacked a certain peacefulness.  Even though I was the one with there with the purpose behind the canoe/kayak launch, I felt like, as the saying goes, a fish out of water.  I really do not know much about Pokemonn Go, much less understand its draw.  But, people were out on a nice mid-September afternoon seemingly enjoying themselves.  Yet, I think I had the better experience by enjoying a paddle upstream with the sun beating down on the river and its user.  Perhaps it is best that multitude was on land and not in the water, as over 100 more canoes or kayakers would have made my experience completely different.

No comments:

Post a Comment