Sunday, December 17, 2017

Depart

Many years ago my Uncle was having a conversation with my Dad about Dad's military service during WWII.  Dad never talked much about his military service, and I only recall my Uncle getting a few pieces of information.  However, there was one thing my Dad said that day struck me such that I recall it to this day.  When my Uncle asked why he did not pursue a career in the military my Dad responded, that he liked the work he had done, but did not like army life.  My Dad was in the Counter Intelligence Corps, and I have written previous blog posts, particularly one dealing with Battle of Bulge, which began on Dec. 16, 1944.  However, this post is not about my Dad or the Battle of the Bulge, it is about a few, now former co-workers. 

Last Thursday evening I was at a going away party for the city's Transportation Engineer who I had the privilege of working with for many years.  As I departed the party, and was driving home, I realized I had to come up with a topic for this week's blogpost.  Something she (the Transportation Engineer) said that evening, made me think of the remark my Dad had given to my Uncle years ago.  She commented how well she liked her work (and many of those with whom she worked),  yet,  she found it necessary to leave the employment of the city. She left, but not because of the work. 

Unfortunately, this was the second going away party in the span of a week. One week earlier was the going away party for the Director of Public Works/City Engineer.  While his tenure was not near as long as that of the Transportation Engineer, he was knowledgeable and was a good fit.   Add to this, an Environmental Engineer who departed in late January, and you have the departure of three engineers in less than one year.  That is quite a number when the total of employed professional engineers is only five.  Add to that the departure of an Engineering Technician in October, and you have four staff in one department that have taken on employment opportunities elsewhere. The sad part is that they were all dedicated and more than capable workers in their fields.  Also, since the end of October, the City Attorney, who I had the pleasure of working with for about 15 years, retired, as did the Police Chief (who began as a patrolman about 40 years ago.  One can discern the turnover in key positions.  During the City Attorney's retirement get-together for cake in the Community Center, a  co-worker noted that I need to stay more than eight years to break the Police Chief's record.  I jokingly noted that the job would probably kill me before I reached that age.  I then suggested that they could store my corpse with my desk chair in the freezer at the Senior Center and wheel me out during the week. She replied that they could push me down to meetings, but then noted that I "would not say anything... but its not like they listen to you anyway."   It is not like the three engineers who departed this year left for retirement--all are generation Xer's and moved on to other positions.  I suspect the push factor was likely greater than any pull factor. Events transpired to provide them a desire to leave.  I know it was a difficult choice for the Transportation Engineer, and probably the other two. Employees want to feel valued and know that they are making a difference.

The Transportation Engineer was the only person from work with whom I was friends with on the social media site Facebook. Now, there will be none.  The two of us developed a strong professional relationship especially over the past few years, through joint efforts on a few key projects: an update to the Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan, an intra-city transit study, and more recently the working to get a Ride Share program started. She is more than an engineer, she is a great, friendly, expressive and community-minded person.  If one person embodies the season of autumn it is her.  We would have fun together musing about her favorite season.  She wore clothes for the season.  She appreciated my comments about her Lumberjack outfit. (I was equal opportunity on my comments, referring to the Public Works Director, who liked black, as Johnny Cash.)  Fittingly, she wore this outfit on Thursday, her last day of work with the city. I appreciated her counsel and input on varied planning decisions, and learned a great deal about transportation, particularly regarding bicycle lanes and pedestrians. She valued all modes of transportation equally.  She was not the typical transportation engineer.

This past Monday it felt odd to walk by the empty office of the Public Works Director/City Engineer.  Tomorrow it will be even more strange to walk not only by that empty office, but Ms. Lumberjack's former work station right outside the door to that office.  I am not sure how many realize what has been lost, and why.  The US Army struggled 73 year ago to find its footing to thwart the last gasp German offensive, and so will those of us affected by the loss of not only good, decent co-workers, but friends, need to regain our footing. I wish them the very best as they pursue their new positions.   Thursday evening as I bade farewell and best wishes, she commented that she reads my blog posts. I hope she stuck through this one. There will be no other Lumberjack as a transportation engineer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment