Thursday, December 13, 2018

That Guy

Having worked for a local unit of government, I know there are individuals no one desires to deal with.  It is sometimes due to their pretentious, pedantic nature, or it could be the way they complain, or they just drive you nuts due to constant questioning and/or complaining. Have I, now that I am retired, become that guy?
Looking north on east side of Exchange St.
Notice all the sediment.  Nov 2018
First, let me introduce why perhaps this is the case.  Construction on the elementary school behind us started in August 2017, and was pretty much completed in September of this year.  An addition at the high school has been going on for near as long, but will likely continue through to the start of the next school year, if not beyond.  This past spring as I drove to and from work on Exchange Street, which sees the bulk of the High School construction traffic, including the movement of dirt out of the site, tracked dirt and mud on the street is always present. Most noticed is the phosphorus laden sediment that makes its way via storm drains to our collective streams and lakes.  Dane County is spending millions of dollars to remove sediment from waterways, and it makes little sense to see sediment on a street that could be easily cleaned up, make its way to the precious surface waters of this region.  Phosphorus is the main contributor to algae blooms in the lakes.  The gully wash rain events of this past summer were of sufficient strength to easily wash even some bigger particles of dirt into the storm sewers which go into the lakes.
Detail of mud on Exchange St, Nov 2018
Phosphorus is a problem with the lakes, and because little regulation exists on non-point source polluters, it comes down to point source polluters to carry an extra heavy load.  Madison Metropolitan Sewerage District has pioneered an Adaptive Management approach to work with farmers and other stake holders to limit phosphorus into the surface waters.  A number of measures are used:  paying for buffer strip easements, paying for over seeding of farm fields with rye grass, assisting with manure digesters for farm operations.  It is not cheap.  Having been a part of agency review and approval of the MMSD adaptive management approach, I know full well its benefits, and its difficulties and costs.
Rain garden under construction at Primary School
This sediment laden water was pumped on to the pavement
Sept, 2018
That is why it is difficult to see sediment laying on the road, and not being properly cleaned.  The heavy rains of August and September led me to complain a few more times.  The Public Works Director emailed that he saw them sweeping, so they are taking care of it.  The problem is they sweep it to the side of the road but do not pick it up, even though there are brooms with, let me call is a large dustpan, made for skid loaders.  I see the problem every day as I walk along Exchange Street.  Complaints to the proper authorities have been met with little interest so I have stopped my complaints.  The usual response I received is that they are on top of the situation.  Which of course, on my daily walk, I could see that they were not on top of the situation.    Simply pushing, by sweeping, the mud and silt from tracking to the side of the road does no good, it may actually make it worse.  Think about it, rain water is directed by street design to the gutter pan of curb and gutter, and with it all the junk and sediments it collects along the way.  My constant complaints did little good.
Discharge onto pavement of sediment laden water
from the above photo.  Sept. 2018
So, am I that guy?   I think my complaints on the lack of proper erosion control at the high school and elementary school project in late summer and early fall have branded my as such.  I heard in late October from a former colleague with whom I used to work,  that someone from the Village of McFarland asked him what kind of person I am, and that they did not like my complaints.  The former co-worker would not say who inquired, but given the occupation of the person who commented to me, I would have to say the Public Works Director in McFarland is the one who has labeled me as such.  This is the same public works director who told me that it is OK for sediment to get to the lakes and streams, since storm basins will take care of it.  He back tracked when I noted that most of the storm sewers to which this sediment runs are not served by basins. He also said that sediments would not hurt the wetlands.   I then noted, by email, that I disagreed, and would be happy to contact UW Professor Cal DeWitt to educate them on wetlands and how they are affected by sedimentation.  He back tracked once again.  When I emailed him that even with basins, there are fine grain with phosphorus particles attached that still make it to the streams, particularly in heavy storm events.  It is quite evident that there is no desire to enforce erosion control in the Village, and that some need to be educated.
Sediment laden water from above hose goes into
storm sewer.  Sept. 2018
I may well be, to them, "that guy", but I will not apologize for caring about the waters of the state. Regarding erosion control and waters of the state, I am not just off the turnip truck.  Not only through my profession, but also my over 27 years as a MMSD Commissioner qualify me to speak on the matter. I have written and enforced erosion control ordinances.  Although, since my complaints really fell on deaf ears, and did not make a difference, I have stopped complaining, even though every day I see sediment laying in the curb along Exchange Street.
Outfall of sediment laden water that entered storm sewer (see above photo)
This water goes to a wetland and then to Mud Lake and the Yahara Chain
Sept. 2018

Laws are written to protect the public health and safety and phosphorous, which washes into our surface waters, helps lead to the terrible algae blooms we see on the Madison Lakes.  The heavy rain events of this past year flushed more sediments into the surface water than what a usual year would produce, and this allowed algae blooms to occur earlier than normal. This of course, also involved the presence of the toxic blue-green algae that closed a number of swimming beaches this past summer.  The heavy rain events wash many pollutants to our public waters, and hence it is incumbent to well clean our streets.  Perhaps it is time I complained once again.  But, then I become "That Guy" and would only hear, "we are on top of it."










No comments:

Post a Comment