Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Camping Eclipse

Land Girl, my spouse, and I went for a few night camping trip that started on Sunday May 15. This was our first trip of the camping season. We continued our now three year old "tradition" of taking our recreational vehicle to Lake Kegonsa State Park for the first trip of the season. Part of me misses tent camping, but the camper is nice when it is raining. And we always seem to get rain on our excursions, no matter how short or how long. This state park is just over six miles from our home. This way, if we miss a certain piece of gear, we are not too distant. When tent camping all our gear was pretty much stored at home in the same place. Not so with the camper.  I thought it best to write a blog post about me getting up near midnight and going outside to view the lunar eclipse in the early morning hours as Sunday changed to Monday. My wife suggested this as a blog post, and I don't want to be the husband that does not do what his wife asks. 
Check in Station at Lake Kegonsa
2019 photo
Interestingly, we selected the same campsite as our inaugural camper camping trip in early June of 2019, which you can read about here. While the camper is the same, fortunately my backup skills have improved. That first trip I think we both thought we would never get the camper in the site, given the curve in the paved camp road and posts and trees nearby. We got it part way in that year and decided to unhook and push to better align it in the site. This year I had to make only one minor adjustment, and probably did not need to do that. Hence we had great success backing the small camper in this site. 

I was not expecting to get a chance to look at the blood moon while we were camping. After all, it was planned to reach its peak near midnight, with the coverage starting at 11:11 pm. I knew, that I would be in bed at that time, and hopefully asleep.  What I forgot is that when we camp, I usually have trouble sleeping the first night. I think I fell asleep, but woke up. When I woke, I looked at my watch which read 11:55 pm. Maybe it was Providence waking me up. Even though it was supposed to get cool that night, down to the low-forties, I decided to get out of my sleeping bag and go outside. The temperature was not as bad as I thought, thinking the low for the day would be six hours away. I thought I was being courteous by opening the door and going outside, rather than lowering my window shade and looking outside to see if I could see the moon. The window shades in the RV do not move to easily which means noise. 
Campsite, 2019 and 2022

Going out the door, I could see the blood moon right away, and found it pretty much as described--although I would call it more a burgundy than a red--the color of dried blood. Also present were some high wispy clouds which provided a haunting image of that dark red moon. As the color of dried blood, it made think how fortunate I was to be in Wisconsin and not in Ukraine. Even though I was outside only for a couple minutes, I am glad I had seen it. What surprised me the most was the talking at a campsite a couple sites to the east of our location. On our loop, there were perhaps only five sites occupied, or maybe four, because we never saw anyone at the site to our west.

After a few minutes I went back in the camper and shut the door. As I shut the door, I noticed the shade on the door window was fully shut, so I opened it slightly to help with air movement and help prevent condensation on the plastic material. I knew that window faced mainly east, but I thought keeping condensation down was better than sun shining in. I was wrong. 
Campsite, 2019 and 2022

The morning of May 16, my wife, who apparently did not even sleep enough for her Fitbit to record sleep, complained about the sun coming in the door window and then asked what in the world was I doing getting out of the camper at that hour of the day? She asked what time I got out of the camper. One would have thought I had started the war in the Ukraine. I guess she did not like the sun shining in on her beautiful face now energizing the camper with a frown of having been disturbed so early in the morning. Funny how she is, she asked how opened the shade on the door window. I should have responded the boogey man. Well, she full well knows, if it was not her, it had to be me. She was also not impressed that I got up to look at the blood moon. Only asking if I saw the moon. I noted how it looked more like dried blood. 

The sad thing is that my Land Girl has not been providing me with blogpost material. It has been quite some time since I have had a chance to write about her varied antics. Back in January I wrote how I only needed to look at my spouse for blog material. That has not been the case for several months now, or since January. I know wonder if I jinked myself with that comment. Perhaps that is an indication of how boring life can be, or that her routine is so well established that no new blog material occurs.

Campsite, 2019 and 2022

The next lunar eclipse is not until November 8 of this year. And that one does not begin until after 2:00 am, so she should be lucky that we probably will not be camping at that time of the year. Otherwise she may hear me get out of the camper, in what would truly be the middle of the night. However, I wonder if we still tent camping if she would have been upset if I zipped and unzipped the tent and  vestibule to get out and then get back in? Although, it is a lot easier opening and closing a door then fumbling with zippers. 

Photos by author in 2019















No comments:

Post a Comment