Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Henry

For many years now we have had two ducks, male and female, hanging around our yard starting in mid to late spring generally through early summer. There had been a few years when a third duck joined them. One year they had a nest by our mailbox, but a raccoon put an end to any egg hatching. Watching them the past few days, I came to the conclusion that Henry and I share some commonalities.

First off, we both watch over our spouses. Henry looks around while Henrietta eats the bird food that fell on the ground out of the bird feeder. He is like a sentinel on guard duty to assure no animal comes into their space. If I walk out on the deck and head to the garden I may come across them in which case, I take a longer route to avoid encroaching on their space. If I do not see them right away I usually catch them waddling away, and I would then try to adjust my route. Sometimes they just keep waddling away.

Second, we both have similar traits in our spouses. I saw Henry alone Sunday in the yard looking around, and quacking, probably looking and calling for his spouse. Who knows what his spouse was doing. I can sympathize with Henry because at times I think my spouse and her inability to sit still (hyperactivity?) has her floating around only she knows where, leaving me to guess. The best example is a few decades ago when we were dating and we got to the top of Mount Washington in New Hampshire, if you live in the US you may recognize it as the place where the highest ever recorded wind speed for the nation. Well, my then girlfriend was no where to be found, and I was getting a little concerned as it was approaching the time to leave. I like to think that is how Henry was feeling last Sunday.  All of a sudden on Mount Washington my then girlfriend, now wife, showed up like she had not a worry in the world. Fast forward to last Sunday and all of a sudden Henrietta flew in like she had not a care in the world, after a few minutes they both flew away. I am thinking she wanted to take Henry shopping.  Although Henrietta does not have red hair I wonder if she posses many of the stereotypes that go with a red head?  I think in the duck world she could well be the equivalent of a red head.

Henry has been alone in the yard more that Sunday, and Monday which makes me wonder if Henrietta has been making a nest or sitting on an egg. Yesterday, I did notice either of them in the yard until later in the day when they both showed up. When my wife was pregnant her nesting instinct kicked in more than usual. One night, yes, night, she could not sleep and proceeded to can several jars of apple pie filling. 

The next way we are Henry and I are alike is how we walk. I am amazed at how fast he waddles, faster than my perpetually aching feet can take me. Given my feet I suppose I look like I waddle more than a walk. His palmate feet have a larger surface area to accept the blows when he walks, not to mention how fast he can propel himself when he swims. My comparatively smaller feet accept more blows per square inch than does his webbed feet.

As I write this we have yet again another day of duck weather--cool and rainy. It is too bad I cannot converse with Henry as perhaps we could talk about how we each attempt to manage the high-energy levels of our respective spouses.  I might be able to learn a few things. 

Photos by author. I would have gotten some photos of Henrietta, but she does not stay still too often. 











No comments:

Post a Comment