Friday, August 5, 2022

Hair Cut

Last week (last week of July) my spouse had trouble getting a haircut appointment. Her walking partner uses the same person, but makes a haircut appointment as she pays for the cut just received. Land Girl does not wish to do that since she does not want to be constrained by dates for a hair cut, or as I call it a fur cut. He nickname, Mom Bear well fits not only her personality, but that her hair color is that of a grizzly bear. I have offered to cut her fur (hair), but she apparently does not desire the bowl cut look. 

On Wednesday morning of last week, I inquired of when she was able to get her appointment. She responded that she was able to get an appointment on August 10. I mentioned that "Oh, that is the day after the primary election." She then said, "most husbands would have said, Oh, that is the day before your birthday." It never occurred to me say the day before her birthday. The news that morning reminded me that the primary was election was August 9. I am still getting used to the primary election now being in August, rather than September. When I worked I would calculate days and weeks based on the Tuesdays of the Plan Commission meetings, since those dates were well focused in my head. While the radio reminded me of the primary election, a week later and I am still not living that statement down.

2022 Full Moons
Source: Google Images

I have played with this a little bit, and she of course provides a few reminders of that remark. I do know that the next full moon is two days after the primary, or the day after her hair cut, which of course is her birthday. My wife, being a nurse, seems to have bad thoughts about full moons from when she worked in the hospital. She, along with others, claim that more bad behavior occurs on the night of a full moon than nights before or after. I worked for a local government and the police too would dread full moon nights, as they had the claim that more bad things happened on the night of a full moon. Last week we were also watching the Netflix show "Battlefish" and in one episode the claim was made that the during an eclipse more tuna are caught than otherwise, perhaps due to the greater tide effect of the eclipse.

I did do a search for full moon and crime and found this abstract from Pubmed (source:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1444800/), dated 1984:

The incidence of crimes reported to three police stations in different towns (one rural, one urban, one industrial) was studied to see if it varied with the day of the lunar cycle. The period of the study covered 1978-82. The incidence of crimes committed on full moon days was much higher than on all other days, new moon days, and seventh days after the full moon and new moon. A small peak in the incidence of crimes was observed on new moon days, but this was not significant when compared with crimes committed on other days. The incidence of crimes on equinox and solstice days did not differ significantly from those on other days, suggesting that the sun probably does not influence the incidence of crime. The increased incidence of crimes on full moon days may be due to "human tidal waves" caused by the gravitational pull of the moon.

The curious flaw in this study to me is what was the crime during a few days before (waxing) and after (waning) a full moon? I wonder if it is not the gravitational pull of the moon, but rather, if the evening is generally clear, the full (and near full) moon produces more light allowing for more deviant activity. Although it is possible that both factors play a roll. A scientific paper would need to rule out a number of variables, night sky condition, day of the week, and the course of a full moon phase from new to full and full to new.

News Article on Full Moon upstaging Perseid Meteor Shower
https://www.space.com/august-full-moon-perseid-meteor-shower-2022

Appropriate to her birthday, is that astronomers say the full moon will upstage the Perseid meteor shower this year. The full moon may not be have curly and swirling red hair, but it still will have an outsized impact this mid-August. The Perseid is one of the strongest meteor showers to occur annually. This coming full moon is called the Sturgeon Moon. I am not sure why, but for some reason every full moon now has to be named. I think this full moon should be referred to as the Red Hair moon. 

Mom Bear Kayaking on Laura Lake

Now, how does this all relate to a haircut, I am not sure of the science of the gravitational pull, although I suspect it is related to mass (the moon mass does not change) and distance of the moon from the earth which can vary. Will there be sufficient gravitational pull on the day before the full moon this August to cause her hair to rise when it will be cut to offset a mm of the cut? Or, will the hair dresser be sufficiently off set by the approaching full moon she just does not do a sufficient job?  If an election falls on a full moon should it be canceled? I mean, will people not be thinking properly when they vote? In the end my spouse's birthday falls on the day of the full moon, I will need to wait and see if anything weird occurs on the day after her hair cut.   







No comments:

Post a Comment