Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Letting Me Down

This is an unusual blog post. I really don't know what to write about this week. I can usually count on my wife for material, but she has fallen down on the job; she has failed to give me some good material for a blog post. She has let me down.

With the cold weather the past week we have been stuck inside a great deal. Not with my continuing foot problems I get out much. The wife has spent much of her time working on jigsaw puzzles. I think she is on her fifth puzzle. Putting puzzles together does not provide really good material. Except, when she gets exasperated because when a puzzle contains a piece that can be used in more than one spot. She may get half or 2/3 of the way through and realizes that something is wrong. The current puzzle has Piglet getting carried up by a few balloons and Pooh has grabbed him and is going up too. Strong balloons to take Pooh up I have to say. Oh bother. 

Pooh Bear Puzzle

For Christmas, from my sister, I got a couple puzzle books, a clock to put together and a 3-D puzzle. I may let the wife do the 3-D puzzle of Notre Dame Cathedral. I think the wife will have to help me with the puzzle, because it would probably take me longer to put it together than its current restoration effort. The first book I have started working on is titled, The Ultimate Activity Book for Intelligent Men and I have to say I probably should have had the book for non-intelligent men. One puzzle has the names of what they say are famous composers, and nine of opera singers, and you have to select who is a composer. The composer names are not Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Handel, or even Chopin. I think of the 18 names, I only have one, Gustav Mahler. I think he wrote the Resurrection Symphony. 

There is a similar puzzle with nine currencies and musical instruments. What is a Zloty, sounds like a currency, but I am not sure. Sistrum sounds like a disease, but perhaps a musical instrument. We are talking obscure names, words I really have not heard. That is how I handle the puzzle, what they seem like they could be. Koto could go either way, but I am guessing instrument. Then there is the one to distinguish between birds and reptiles. I don't recall seeing a Gharial at the zoo. Maybe I need the puzzle book for dumb men.

The puzzles I have been quite good at are the mazes. Perhaps because they are spatial, but I get through them quite fast. I leave the Sudoku puzzles for the wife. Sudoku really does not leave much room to write about, other than how good she is at them. She has started an even more difficult version of Sodoku called Sumoku. 

The thing is, even a guy like me found a few mistakes in this Intelligent Men's puzzle book. One was a spelling error. They provided 42 words that all begin and end with E and you have to place them in a crossword like puzzle. A couple words could go in more than one place, and one word (actually two) was misspelled they had Enfant Terrible in the word list and it is actually enfante terrible. This means it had 15 and not 14 letters. That stumped me for a while until I realized it was misspelled. Other than that, it was a fun puzzle to do.  

Puzzle with words that begin and end with E

I guess the cold and now dreary weather has indoors more, and with the wife putting crosswords puzzles together she just does not provide sufficient material for a blog post. I have counted on her antics many times for a blog post, but now she is letting me down.



No comments:

Post a Comment