Tuesday, June 19, 2018

DMV

It is a chore every auto driving American needs to do.  Go to the DMV.  an acronym for Division of Motor Vehicles.  One takes their driving test at the DMV, you renew your driver license, vehicle registration, and other items associated with everyday life.  If you live in Wisconsin but don't drive,  you can go to the DMV to get your required photo ID to vote. I think some people may rather go to the dentist than to the DMV.

I went with my wife today as she had to renew he driver license.  DMV's contain a panoply of Americans of every color, size, and persuasion.  In a sense, it may well be a small portrait of the demographic set for the area in which you live.  Besides adults, you see babies, young children with a parent, a Dad anxiously awaits the news as a child takes their driver's test.  Possibly some new arrivals to Wisconsin, or even the nation. Donor posters come in two different languages, English and Spanish.  It made me wonder how many of the DMV workers speak Spanish.
A standard DMV
When entering the DMV today, I saw a middle aged man in the chairs for driver test.  Just before we departed, I could hear the instructor give points to him and his son on what the young driver did wrong. I did not hear many compliments.  She ended by saying "Better luck next time."  The disappointed young man left with his father, with his choice of head wear foreshadowing a budding hipster.  I wonder if the dad was upset, or had some measure of schadenfreude as the young man would be delayed on the household auto insurance policy.  Another dad arrived with a nervous daughter to take the driver exam.  I did not notice any mom's with children to take the driver test.  Is it because dad's are the primary driver, or have greater ability to get time off?  Is it because the wife app would be in overtime with a young driver?

Times have changed, they do not always parallel park anymore.  An automated voice calls over the PA system, "Number D223 to counter 9, please, D223 to counter 9".  Also, the driver license is now mailed, rather than produced and laminated on the spot and provided to you, that is if you pass the test.  Last week my wife commented to me when she biked most of the way with me to my MMSD meeting that it was like taking a child to kindergarten.  Today, I was able to repay, by saying that going with her to the DMV was like taking a child to get their driver license.  Luckily she passed her eye exam.  The husband app, which I believe is more forgiving than the wife app, did not go off as she drove to and from the DMV.
Massachusetts member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
Pastafarian 

With the growing penchant for individuality in the nation, DMV's have been under fire as to what is acceptable head wear.  It was not too long ago when a women wanted to wear a colander, claiming he religious belief was that of a Pastafarian, and she is required to wear the colander.  A court fight ended up allowing her to wear the food strainer. I wonder if she wore the colander in her car and at other places in public.

DMV's would not be any idea of a fun time, but we were in and out in about 20-25 minutes.  What used to be ten years is now eight years for renewal for my wife, and probably for me come later this year.  I am not sure if the time frame is reduced due to aging and the need for eye tests, or if it is policy for everyone in the state.  My wife thinks the state just wants more money.  If you think about it, if going to eight years is state and age wide, that is a great deal more persons to accommodate at the DMV within the eight year time frame, 20% more.  I doubt they will increase their capacity by 20%.  I did not see any colanders.








No comments:

Post a Comment