Sunday, June 3, 2018

Hydrants and Posts

Every now and then something comes along to alter your day.  Using the word "alter" as I did, may make one think the day was altered, but not in a good way.  But, yet a day can be altered in good, bad or I suppose indifferent; although if indifferent, was your day altered?  My day was altered Saturday, and in a good way.  What I did not know until Friday night is that my two sons and their girlfriends were planning a bike ride on Saturday.  My day was altered as the bikers left from our house in McFarland, and went over the new bike bridge and head to near downtown Madison, for what Millennial's do, get a beer at a craft brewery on Park Street.  My wife offered that we watch Hudson, the dog owned by our youngest son and his girlfriend.  Or, as she refers to Hudson, our grand-dog.
Hudson near his peanut butter kong
Hudson, is a rambunctious young dog whose behavior reminds me of Marley in "Marley and Me."  Not the most obedient dog, but I think that adds to his likability.  I think dogs, at least those of my family members, are probably the most spoiled animals on earth.  On the last weekend in May, there was the annual puppy party for those who have dogs, and humans with no dogs are invited too.  Hudson, unfortunately was unable to make the puppy party.  Last Wednesday we dog sat Hudson, so he could get some human interaction as our son and his girlfriend attended an event in Madison.  I think my wife wore Hudson out playing catch.
Playing catch
After Hudson arrived my wife filled up some toy he has with peanut butter which kept him occupied for a few minutes.  After the kids departed on the bike ride, I went for my daily walk, which in McFarland is about 50 minutes in length.  I decided to take Hudson thinking he may like the new sights and sounds.  What I forgot about with dogs, until we got to the first fire hydrant, is that they may not care for the sights and sounds as much as the smells.  Hudson, like other dogs, stopped to sniff around fire hydrants, telephone and sign posts.  Well, very little can keep me from my daily walk, which is more like a mission, or as people at work say, a march. Hudson would be in the lead and I holding tight to his leash lest he get away followed. It was often common for him to pull to the side and sniff, and I would continue to walk, he would get behind lollygagging at the new smells, until I tugged his leash.
He likes playing catch
This went on through the whole walk.  Walk, stop, sniff, and I would tug at which Hudson would move on ahead; walk, stop, sniff, tug.  I don't know what it is in the character of dogs that wants them to smell such things, (perhaps it is a territorial thing) but it is a common legend that dogs like to pee on fire hydrants (leaving their scent), making one wonder what they do when there is no hydrant.  I am just glad they do not pee on electrical transformers.  Needless to say the first part of the walk, in an older neighborhood with above ground electrical/telephone lines made for many more stops than the last part where electrical and communication lines are below ground.  Easier for me as less tugs, although maybe Hudson was disappointed.
Going for the ball 
I had thought a long walk would wear him out, but no.  After getting home we played fetch (or catch), and fetch some more and fetch some more.  Not to mention fetch again.  Knowing his not desiring to listen to me, which I found out the hard way in early April, I had him tied up to play fetch.  After a couple of times of getting a hard tug on the leash when the ball was knocked out of his reach, he realized where to stop--smart dog, just does not want to listen to me.  After a short break, which I thought he would want to lie down and rest, but no.  I wanted to relax, but seeing his little head and nod the strings of my heart were tugged and I would play fetch once again. Did I say we played a lot of fetch?
Who can say no to that face?
If I had left Hudson off the leash perhaps he would have tracked down the rabbits, squirrels, and chipmunks that populate the yard and have, quite frankly become a nuisance.  But, alas, while they were present before Hudson arrived, once he arrived they were all of sudden no where to be seen.  Perhaps, as Hudson gets older I will be able to get him off leash in the yard, but right now, I would don't trust that to be the case. Hudson liked to sniff below the bird feeders in our yard.  This is a location where the critters, he would like to find, hang out when they are not digging in our planted pots, or eating our plants.  Hudson enjoyed eating food other than peanut butter.  There were carrots, Corn Chex and a few other treats.  He was a hungry dog.  I often let him get a pass on the part to make him sit and shake before giving him food, and a few times I simply gave him a handful of Chex. 
Time to go now

 My Saturday afternoon was taken up playing with Hudson, but it turned out to be a nice way to spend an otherwise cool and cloudy day.  Hudson, is the grand-dog, and like grand-kids to grand parents I think I spoiled him. It was difficult to not play and provide attention to Hudson with that cute, wondering look that he entrusts to my mind, and heart. Stopping at the hydrants and posts is a small break in my walking mission, but that walk was also engaging, as Hudson was well, being Hudson.  So, yes, the day was altered in a good way.





No comments:

Post a Comment