Thursday, September 9, 2021

No Walking

Many years ago, I led a group of scouts to a week long summer camp as the Troop leader was with a number of older scouts on a hike at Philmont Scout Ranch in the southwest US.  Thursday night of that week a number of other Dad's arrived and would spend the last two nights to help take the boys home Saturday morning.  We were sitting by the campfire, when I got up to tend to something.  As I walked away, I heard the other leader that had been with me for the week say, "Pay up."  I found out that he had bet the newly arrived Dad's that I would not be able to sit down for more than five minutes before getting up. The newly arrived Dad's thought that rather ridiculous. That scout leader could have been my wife.  Although I tend to think she is the one who cannot sit.  After all, if she were a bird it would be humming bird since they flutter around and never seem to stop. Even at the feeder they don't perch, but keep their wings flapping. But, with part of my foot treatment over the past month, I have come to realize, that after sitting down for ten minutes, I get, well, a little unsettled.  

 As part of my regiment for my feet, I wear a splint on my left foot.  I don't wear it very long, ten to fifteen minutes with my leg extended, and the same amount of time in a seated position. One is not supposed to walk in the splint, so there I sit for ten to fifteen minutes before switching chairs for another similar amount of time.  At times, or most of the time, for some reason, I find this rather difficult.  Perhaps because I have lost my freedom of movement--being able to move when I wish to. 

I am sure my spouse would disagree that I desire freedom to move. She would instead say that it is instead related to a nervous energy, or my antsy nature.  She would say that I cannot simply stay put for ten minutes or more at one time. My wife found vindication for her thought on my nervous energy.  Last week my brother-in-law commented to her that I have trouble sitting still. It has given rectitude to her view. In other words, could she be correct? 

Splint I wear

Having to wear the foot splint for 20 to 30 minutes a day is not too bad.  I have to say, however, that it takes some getting used to not be able to get up and walk into the kitchen for more food, or a drink of water, or get another snack. My problem with my feet has greatly limited my activities over the past nine months, so one would think I was used to having lost freedom to move around. Perhaps for distances, but not in the house. In the home, my desire for food usually overran the ache of my feet. In any event, I am now in a no walk position for two 10 to 15 minute segments a day. 

In writing this five paragraph blog post, I think I got up four or more times. Most times to do other chores, or get in a short bike ride. The no walking message on the splint apparently allows me to sit in the same place for ten to fifteen minutes,but not as I wrote this.  So, tonight I will once again have a no walk restriction.  My snack trips will be on hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment