Friday, September 24, 2021

One Chickadee

This past summer there was a report of a mysterious illness affecting varied birds. Later it turned out to to affect mainly fledgling birds. I am not sure the source or the type of illness has ever been discovered, but, nonetheless, the Audubon society and other bird groups asked people to empty their feeders and bird baths.  I did that, and still await the return of the birds. Since refilling the feeder a few weeks ago, I have seen only one chickadee at the feeder.

Years ago, when I was perhaps a teenager, or young teen, my mom put up a finch feeder.  We had never seen finches in the yard and we wondered if they would all of a sudden appear with a finch feeder.   There was skepticism among some of the siblings that the finches would arrive in any short time frame.  Sure enough, about a day or so later there were finches at the feeder. So, I figured when I refill the feeders, the birds would soon arrive.  I was mistaken.

Still waiting for the return of Finches

I dutifully did what they asked, taking down and cleaning the bird feeders and not refilling them, and regularly cleaning the bird bath, and allowing it to stay dry, or turning it over for some time.  I cannot recall when I started this, perhaps some time in late June or in early July.  I do know I took down the feeders after seeing it online, and later noticed an article in the newspaper. Even though the disease was not in Wisconsin, the bird organizations asked for cooperation to avert the spread, lest there be a pandemic among the bird population.  The thinking was that birds can depend on berries and other sources of food during the summer months, so there is no need for them to be fed. Which begs the question, what did birds do before people started feeding them?

As noted, I started feeding the birds a few weeks ago with cleaned feeders, and the next day, the newspaper had an article that people can start feeding the birds once again. Come to find out, that guidance was actually issued in early August for allowing regularly cleaned feeders to once again be used.  With the feeders now filled for a few weeks, the birds have been non-existent, except for that one chickadee.  My wife thinks the birds probably got used to other feeders and yards, and it will take some time for them to reappear. I don't know why the finches appeared the next day when my mom set up a finch feeder, and I am now three weeks in and waiting for the return of the finches. 

Feeder at which I saw the one Chickadee

At first, the disease issue was concern for song birds, but later turned out to be Blue Jays, Robins and grackles. I have not seen a Robin eating out of a feeder, they seem to poke around the ground and plants, and the dry summer probably cut off some of the supply of worms. The disease, unlike Covid, had apparently run its course. As far as I know, the origin, or what the disease was,has yet to be determined.  Some experts think it may be due to the large outbreak of cicadas in some states.  While correlation does mean causation, some scientists think there may still be an link--although this is pure conjecture.  

In any event, I wait the return of the birds, and hope that as fall has now arrived the birds will once again make their way to one of my two feeders. If not, it will save me purchasing bird seed. One chickadee has found its way, and I trust the others will too.







No comments:

Post a Comment