Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Chocolate Cookie Punishment

On Thursday, March 7 the wife made some cookies to take up to the Twin Cities area in a visit with our son and daughter-in-law. I saw her mixing dough and I asked if those were chocolate chips in the dough, and she said yes. I said she needed more, she said no. Thus began the chocolate chip cookie punishment.

After I asked if those were chocolate chips she had put in, she came back with the comment that went something like this: "That is all that were up here (in the cupboard), but there would be more if you did not eat them by the handful." I offered to go to the basement and get some more, but she would have none of that. In other words, she was skimping on the chocolate chips in the cookies to get back at me for eating a few. I plead innocent to eating by the handful, the palmful maybe, but not the handful. I can see her fuming as she reads that sentence. The cookies became a form of punishment as she reiterated her point about me eating the chocolate chips and then the dagger came: "Now you will have to pay for it."

Later in the day she asked if had a cookie, and I said yes (I did not tell her I had had four by that time) and she asked me how they were.  I had all I could do, because even I am not that stupid, to say "They could have used more chocolate chips" but instead I simply said they were good, which they were even though they were light on chocolate chips. I wonder how much better they could have been with a more appropriate amount of chocolate chips? I know how many chips get in one cookie could be a matter of how the dough is mixed, but there is also a relationship to how many chips are put in the dough. Of the first four cookies I ate, one of them only had three discernable chocolate chips. Does that even qualify as a chocolate chip cookie? I am not aware of any standards for the number of chocolate chips to be in a chocolate chip cookie so perhaps I need to come up with a standard. The wife would say I should have have eaten a few less palms full of chocolate chips. To be fair, other cookies I ate seemed to have a more respectable number of chocolate chips. Someone took the time to count the chocolate chips in Chips Ahoy cookies, and a sample of 36 cookies found they averaged just over 21. They must be small chocolate chips in the Chips Ahoy cookies.

If my wife gets through this blog post without blowing up at me, she will either say, "You are so funny!" or the more likely, "You can make your own cookies from now on!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment