Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Wayward Women

When I do my bike ride I have noticed the presence of what I refer to as wayward women. During the week, I almost always travel from my home to the Lussier Center on the Lower Yahara River Trail. The trail, much off road, is located only 425 ft from my home. This route has me on a .9 mile bike bridge. When opened in 2017 was said to be the longest bike/walking only bridge in the nation. This is usually where the wayward women come in, as the section from McDaniel Park in McFarland and the bike bridge is popular with walkers, and bike bridge west is a popular route.

While "wayward" may not be the correct term, it could be disobedient, but I like the alliteration, I thought Disobedient Dames to be too condescending, and well, out of place in today's society. I would agree that biking during the day allows me to encounter more women than men, and hence my perceptions are somewhat clouded by sample, but nonetheless there is disobedience. Let me count the ways.

Bike Bridge, looking east 
signage south side

Two days last week I had several instances of the wayward women. My pet peeve is those that bicycle and do not follow common courtesies or rules of the trail. For example, say there is a walker coming toward me as I bike, and bikers behind the walker as I approach. The women bicyclist, behind the walker, more often than not, will just go around the walker, as if I am not there. I know I tend to blend in with the railing, but my suspender like blaze yellow garment should give some hint that I am coming toward them. This makes me have to stop so they can continue, when in fact they should have stopped.  I slow or stop to wait for the oncoming bicyclist in that situation. I feel like they are taking advantage of my good and cautious nature. What would they do if I did not slow down to let them pass the same direction walker? To be fair, over the three or more years of biking this route, a few men do the same, but for some reason, maybe simply numbers, women do it more often.

Bike Bridge, signs on north side
looking easterly

Yet, it gets worse, because the wayward women do it while riding next to each other. This is even more dangerous than a single rider, and I had this occur to me last week too. Maybe they were gabbing a bit too much to perhaps even notice my bright suspenders, but who knows. Fortunately, this occurred on the path, not on the bridge that is constrained by railings. The walker, had to move off the path, I slowed way down, but still had to move onto the shoulder or grass to make way for the two of them. I cannot imagine what thoughts would be going through a female mind if this were two men. They appeared to not have a care in the world, and they were the only thing in the world that mattered. Selfish and inconsiderate. It could easily lead to a crash. At least two men, perhaps their partners, following behind were single file, and were courteous. Although neither said anything to the women folk about their poor behavior.

When I first used the bike bridge, I would notice a significant number of people walking their dog on the bridge, even though their are signs, on each side of the abutment prohibiting dogs on the bridge, along with a third freestanding sign. Apparently, these women require more than three signs. I like to think if I notice the signs, everyone else will notice the signs. I have been told I am not very observant. For the last couple years the presence of dogs on the bridge has been minimal, or rather seldom do I come across this situation. I have, in a few instances over the years, seen a small dog that I am sure the handler has picked up when they see other people. Small ankle biter dogs can be more aggressive than a big dog. Last week, Tuesday when I was on approach to McDaniel Park, nearing the bike bridge, heading west to Lussier, that I saw a few women, and each had a dog. They seemed to be waiting for another woman that was coming over from the parking lot to join them. I stated "On your left" and passed them. The thought occurred to me, they were not going to follow the rules and I would see them and the dogs on the bridge or the path on the other side of the bridge.

Portion of Bike Bridge showing pull offs
to left of stream is viewing, to right is down for fishing
The women with the dog were on the left side, southeast corner

Well, that is what occurred. On the west end of the bridge, where the bridge crosses the channel between Upper Mud Lake and Lake Waubesa, there are a couple pull offs, one for fishing (east side of channel) and one for sight seeing (west side of channel) over the lake. In a pull off, I see the women gathered by the railing, and seemingly trying to hide the dogs, but one dog, not women, sticks its head out between the legs of two women. It was a nice day, a rarity for this summer, and many people were out, so I wondered why try to hide the dogs, you will be seen on your trek back. I felt like saying something, but did not wish to be that guy. As I think about it, I should have said something, like: "Oh, I thought pets were not allowed on the bridge." Or, perhaps, the nastier, "Can't you read?"

The bridge is a confined space and it makes perfect sense that dogs or pets are not allowed. These four women had medium to near large sized dogs, not some small one easy to carry.

Now, to expand the sample, I took the bike bridge on my last Saturday bike ride, riding about the same time as during the week. It was more crowded, which is why I tend to avoid it on weekends. However, I thought I would see more men. The two men I observed in a same situation as the women cyclists, they do what I do, slowed down or stopped to allow the oncoming bicyclist go by and then stated "on your left" and passed the walker. I did not see a man do what those women did. In fairness, a man passed me on his bike, and never said on your left. How many women do the right thing? I really don't know because I did not notice any Saturday, and the disobedient incidents are what usually stand out. 

Some relations think this is sexist, but my wife stuck up for me and said if they are in the wrong, they are in the wrong. 

If by chance, dear reader, you bike and come across some wayward women on the ride, perhaps you will think of this blog post. As for me, I am now attuned to wayward women and try to anticipate their disobedient actions.







No comments:

Post a Comment