Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Shorts

Summer weather brings about wearing of shorts. Distressed jeans, where there are tears in the thighs and knees when purchased seem to still be an "in-thing", and I have written about how my distress in jeans comes about naturally, that is through wear, not requiring to be bought that way. I have had to depart with another pair of shorts this summer, meaning, I may need to buy some for next year.

Left leg side.

The shorts I had to throw away, as my wife said they were not worth patching again (I counted four patch spots) were actually pants I used to wear for work and as they aged and worn for too much for work, the wife made into shorts. My seamstress has decided on her own accord, without consultation with the client, that enough was enough. I guess that counts as an executive decision on her part. 

Right leg side

Shorts tend to be longer now then when I was a teenager. Today, they often hang below the knee. What occurs, is that when bending down the shorts get caught on the knee, the fabric wears and then you get a hole, or rip in the fabric. It begins small and then can get bigger, when not properly attended to early, and then they don't pass the Land Girl test and need to get thrown out. I wonder if the added length is purposeful for the shorts to wear out earlier and then need to buy more. A sort of planned obsolescence. 

Land Girl has taken my advice and shortened some of my daily wear shorts hoping that will solve the problem, so they may be at the knee, but not below it. We will see if my theory is correct, that long shorts wear out faster due to bending and kneeling down.

Left back pocke

The first known shorts were likely worn by the Nepalese army in the 1880's. Over time styles and trends have changed. I have a number of cargo shorts, with tons of pockets. Cargo shorts may be out of style, but I really don't know. I kind of like them. I am told that my style is 20 to 30 years out of date. That makes me say that I am a head of style, because my style will be back in. One example, when a teenager, fifty years ago, I wore horn rim glasses, which are now back in style. They were not so much back then. I tended to break a good number of eye wear (as they are now referred to instead of glasses) frames, and my parents wanted a pair that was more durable. Hence, I ended up with horned rim glasses. I don't think they survived my breakage capabilities. Land Girl is constantly surprised at my ability to break something (like her new water bottle).

Top part of front

Apparently, whether glasses (eye wear) or shorts, things I wear and use are not meant to last. The wife says I am too rough on items. I am not sure how I can be rough on shorts, but my activity apparently does have a deleterious effect on the fabric of pants, shorts and even some shirts. As I write this I have a holes and stains on a UW Bookstore T-Shirt I obtained at the start of the 2012 fall term when one of our kids went to the University of Wisconsin. I guess that too will go to the trash or to be used as a rag. Clothes wear out, and at times they are hard to part with.











No comments:

Post a Comment